The Communal Shriving of Weltschmerz

Welcome to a space on the web where dispirited idealists can trade in their sentimental sadness for a bit of hope and peace. It's a lofty goal, I know, but I too suffer from ideal notions.


***********************************************************************

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Time Well Spent


Complications with my pregnancy have turned into continuous bedrest. 
As such, I've had plenty of time to wrestle with the inner workings of the Self. 

It's an ugly place to stare into, let me just say. 

I mean, if you honestly take a long close look at your motives and desires and refuse to wear the rose colored glasses that so many "spiritualists" are freely handing out these days, you'll see the Self can be very dark, very contorted and very acrid. 

Take note: I'm admitting this as a proclaimed Christian, so imagine the compounded defeat of looking into a place that my religion tells me is as "white as snow" only to continually find myself trampling through the muddy slush of me. 

Confession made. 

Now, for the absolution. 

I recently ordered a book that was highly recommended by a dear friend. I didn't really want to read the book for various reasons but since this very close friend of mine also happens to be my boss, I quickly assessed that not reading it wasn't an option. So, I got the book, took a deep breath of lethargy, pulled open the cover of "Velvet Elvis" and... SMACK-DOWN! 

I got a dose of the most electrifying take on Christian thought that, dare I say, I haven't felt since reading the theological impressions of C.S. Lewis!

Of course, the general perspective behind this book was nothing new to me but the WAY in which this author dished it out and served it up was absolutely piquant both spiritually and intellectually. 

All of a sudden, the slush I was treading through wasn't so revolting. I saw it for what it was: insignificant wet drift that the salt of truth could clear up in no time. It was wonderful and I started to think: what can I do to keep this buzz going?  

Many weeks ago, I was strongly pressed by another friend of mine to start blogging. The logic behind her suggestion was obvious. Since I had no choice but to stay in bed and since I spent so much of that time on the computer, why not use the internet to reach out and connect with other people? 

Sure, that's a great idea if you're "that type" of person. But having an ongoing sentimental connection apart from utilitarian correspondence has never been my strong suit. Just ask... well... everyone I've ever known. 

This fact has truly been a setback in my spiritual growth, let me tell ya. It's also been a source of ongoing guilt because I know there are things I should be doing with my life that I'm not doing solely because of this connection thing. 

So, I took my friend's blogging suggestion. 
I added the inspiration from "Velvet Elvis" and presto: 
Cara Kay Confab! 

My aim is to not only have a place where my friends and family can go to check up on the "inner workings of me", but to also have a gathering spot for unknown others to comment about the journey they happen to be on. 

I may be stuck in bed, but I'm on a journey too.
A stock-still trek of time well spent. 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cara!

I need to figure out how to subscribe to this blog...I'm quite interested in following your journey through this difficult and yet somehow hopeful time...

Reading your first entry here reminded me of the movement that occurs in the Book of Psalms. Walter Brueggemann calls it a movement from orientation to disorientation to new orientation...Israel begins in a good place, only to find that place shattered and taken away,they bring this new pain to God (even in anger), and in the end they end up changed because their experiences of life are experienced with God (the good and the bad), and ultimately they end up in a better place than they started out...you know? it sounds like you are somewhere along that path...and it's cool too because your honesty and wrestling is with God and that's a holy thing...the psalmists' testimony shows it.

I'm glad you found Mr. Bell, I would have guessed that you would dig his take on these things called church and faith. My wife said his second book "Sex God" is great as well. This is probably a dumb question but have you checked out Donald Miller's work at all?

Anyhow, glad to see you inspired and glad to see that light shining brightly.

I've never blogged before...not quite sure what happens when i submit!

Hope you all are doing well!

- Ja

Anonymous said...

Hey Cara..
Love the VodPod!
And I love the journey you're on, even if it's from your bed. I've been on a similar journey over the last several years. The buzz will remain, btw, because it's not dependent on how we are or what we do, or based on anything shallow and lacking. It's founded in the really, truly Good News.
Much Love..
Dave
monachusbellator.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Cara Kay....glad to see you took that advice...well written...thanks for letting us in on the journey

2gethrWeStnd said...

Hi Ja... thanks for your comment! Yes, I own Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller and it's good but it did not impact me as forcefully as Rob Bell's book did. I also watched Erwin McManus give a talk on judgement and that too was really incredible. Lots to chew on, yes? As for telling you how to link to this blog, I'm totally new at this thing and just fumbling through at this point. You can just bookmark the blog and check back when you get the dandy to do so.

Anonymous said...

Got your email and came to check it out ( : I look forward to reading more- you always have wonderful insights, and of course, you write incredibly well. Take care while you need to rest and have fun exploring the blogosphere in the meantime.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Cara,

Hello! I received your email recommending Velvet Elvis. I have only read about 30 pages thus far but am impressed so far. It is written as if he is speaking to you conversationally which makes me want to digest what he is saying rather than just skimming.

I will keep you posted when I finish it.

I have been asking the Lord to also comfort you in your physical difficulties.

Your friend,

Bill