The Communal Shriving of Weltschmerz

Welcome to a space on the web where dispirited idealists can trade in their sentimental sadness for a bit of hope and peace. It's a lofty goal, I know, but I too suffer from ideal notions.


***********************************************************************

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reviewing Through the Storm


Through the Storm is a uniquely written composition penned by Lynne Spears, the mother of international superstar, Britney Spears. 

I call it a unique composition because, regardless of the author's intent, the book borrows from various literary genres resulting in an undefined category of its own. As such, it functions, not only as an autobiography, but also as a familial diary, an insider's memoir, a spiritual treatise, a self-help essay, a personal confession and even at times, a survivor's eulogy. Due to this curious amalgam, Through the Storm carries a chorus of voices which generalizes the demographic and gives the impression that Ms. Spears never made a definite decision as to whom she was writing. 

There are moments when the author directly tries to reach women like me: a wife and mother who hopes to avoid the pitfalls of indulging her children without crushing their inner potential; but then, all of a sudden, the narrative alters its aim and begins coaching the victimized woman of abuse and then switches again to, seemingly, beseech understanding from a future familial descendant. 

I felt like my identity was changing along with her focus which quite often left me feeling confused and disconnected from the narrative. I literally would have to shake my head and tell myself: Oh wait, I'm no longer the Christian woman looking for proof that Lynne is really a sister in Christ, I'm now one of those nosey tabloid readers who wants to hear the inside scoop on what Britney was really doing behind the scenes.  This constant shift in audience-focus disjointed her story, but that's not to say I wouldn't recommend the book to others. Lynne's perspective is far too interesting and insightful for people to pass up just because of something as trivial as faulty audience development. 

Through the Storm is a candidly raw, transparently hopeful, and victorious lesson for everyone to embrace. Overall, I say kudos to Lynne Spears.



No comments: